Summer Sailing Program 2023-2024
Experience a longer voyage on the Lady Nelson over the warmer months of 2023/2024. These are open to everyone with no previous sailing or boating experience needed.
These voyages depart Hobart and explore Tasmania's stunning Channel and Southeast Coast.
This trip for adults departs Triabunna so you sail out to the beautiful East Coast. Maria Island, Freycinet and Schouten Island are possible destinations.
This trip is for Youth 14- 18 years old and is ideal for Venturer Scouts to experience tall ships life and have a short sailing adventure.
East Coast to Hobart 5 day voyage for Duke of Edinburgh Award Participants
Full Day Trips
These full day trips are a perfect option if you are after a longer adventure than our 90 min harbour sails. 6-7 hours of active tallship sailing including lunch and morning tea where you will be given the option to steer the ship, help the crew with handling the sails, climb the masts, go out on the bowsprit or just relax and enjoy the experience.
An example of a typical full day trip departing Hobart:
- Onboard by 8:45am for a prompt 9am departure
- Explore key landmarks and hear stories about the founding of Hobart and the original Lady Nelson.
- Lunch under sail or in a nice bay at anchor (lunch and morning tea is included)
- Catch the sea breeze back to the Hobart wharf to arrive home between 3pm and 4pm
These trips are charter only. Get friends and family together for a great day out.
These public trips are generally scheduled in the warmer seasons between September and March as part of our summer sailing program.
The Lady Nelson comfortably sleeps up to 10 passengers (18 including crew) and includes a fully equipped galley, saloon for meals, toilets and hot showers. All trips are fully catered and you can bring your own refreshments for sunset drinks on the deck.
We also have a motorised dinghy to transfer passengers to secluded beaches and smaller jetties.
You will be sharing accommodation in either the forward compartment (sleeping 8) or the midships compartment (sleeping 6) in single bunks.
All trips include accommodation and all meals.
Examples of multi-day trips we regularly schedule include:
- The D’Entrecasteaux Channel and Bruny Island - usually 3 days, 2 nights
- Sail and Walk - typically 3 day trips in the Channel / Bruny Island with plenty of options for easy walks based on passenger capability (e.g. may be 90 min walks suitable for passengers in the over 50 age range)
- Frederick Henry and Norfolk Bays (Lime Bay) - usually 3 days, 2 nights
- East Coast - 5 day Hobart to Triabunna leg (road transport to return to Hobart)
- East Coast - 2½ day Maria Island trip departing and returning to Triabunna (while at the East Coast
- East Coast - 5 day Triabunna to Hobart leg (road transport to Triabunna for departure)
Or contact us to be added to our mailing list and get in first for future trips.
Create your own private charter adventure voyage
- ideal for groups of 6 to 10 to share the cost.
- perfect for family and friends, business events and special occasions.
- take advantage of our 30 years experience sailing the Tasmanian coast to create a customised adventure.
A sailing charter adventure for 10 people to enjoy the very best of Tasmania's spectacular waterways will cost around $230 per person per day including accommodation, all meals and the best tall ship sailing you can get in Tasmania.
All trips are weather and wind dependent.
We can start with some ideas about where you would like to go and the things you would like to do and then design an itinerary with you taking into consideration distances, travel times, sailing preferences (calm channel sailing or more adventurous open sea) plus any activities or stops you would like to include. Depending on the weather when we sail we can further adjust the itinerary.
Sample itineraries departing and returning to Hobart could include:
- Derwent river, Blackmans Bay, South Arm Peninsular, North Bruny and Northwest Bay area of the D’Entrecasteaux Channel
- Tasmania's South East Coast ( Cape Raul, Tasman Island, Port Arthur, Fortescue Bay)
- Bruny island (Adventure Bay, the Friars (seals, rare nesting sea birds), circumnavigate the island
- Explore The D’Entrecasteaux Channel (Barnes Bay / Quarantine Station, Cygnet, Port Huon, South Port)
- Frederick Henry and Norfolk Bays (Lime Bay, Historic Convict Coal Mines)
While the star attraction is the joy of sailing a square rigged tall ship, we can customise your trip to include other activities:
- Sail and Walk - combine sailing and bush/beach walks. We can drop you off at one location and pick you up at another
- Climb the masts
- Visit the Quarantine Station at Barnes Bay on Bruny Island
- Cast a line and try your luck for the nights dinner
- Walk a secluded beach only accessible by boat
- Take a swim off the ship while at anchor
- Enjoy a drink at the Peppermint bay Hotel, Woodbridge
- Stay overnight and explore Cygnet
Things You May See
Depending on the destination and time of year, some of the things you may see could include:
- Spectacular coastline (particularly the SouthEast around Tasman Island)
- Many different types of sea birds (occasionally Albatross)
- Remote bays and beaches
- Fantastic sunsets
- Contact us to plan your private charter of a life time